Friday, July 29, 2011

100 Mile Wilderness

This is without a doubt the hardest thing i have ever done physically. This is not what I expected at all and has been way more of a challenge already and I am only 100 miles into it. That being said it has been one of the most beautiful and thrilling things I have done and I can not wait to see what is coming up in the days ahead.
                                                                   Summit of Katahdin

The first day I woke up at 5am and climbed Katahdin with a north bounder I met on the way up. My first mistake! he was in way better shape than I was I was hurting by the time I reached the top. It started to storm once we made it to the top so we had to hurry down the mountain which was the start of my problems. I strained my knee coming down the mountain which requires the use of steel pegs and bars embedded in the rock the climb is so steep. I didn't think much of it then but since I had not made reservations for two nights in the park I had to hike all the way to the first shelter which was 18 miles away. I did not get there till 9pm and was so tired I just pitched my tent and collapsed. I woke up the next morning with a fever and could not keep down food. I was going to hike out and call it quits but I met some other hikers who talked me in to continuing and helped me till I felt better. The main wilderness is beautiful so I am glad I kept going. It is full of little lakes where you can swim and river made for laying beside and eating lunch and taking a nap. I would love to come back here some day and do this section of the trail again. The wilderness was hard but I'm glad I stuck it out. There are a million and one spiritual analogies running around  my head which I will have to write down one I get them thought through all the way. Here are some pics from the wilderness.
                                         View of Kahatadin from half way through the wilderness
                                      Exploring one of the lakes from a boat we found on the shore
Till next time
Happy Trails
Framework
(Colby Summers)

1 comment:

  1. Colby! this is amazing! i'm so glad you are doing better! Guess its good to learn these lessons early, you'll be a pro in no time! Hope God is teaching you a lot and blowing your mind!

    Emily Windham

    ReplyDelete